Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 18, 2006

NICU Grads!

Our children have had their first graduation! We have moved out of the NICU to the Special care nursery! Now we are "feeding and growing," so we don't need intensive care anymore! We are very proud of our little ones for hitting so many milestones so quickly! They were not expected to be able to coordinate their sucking, breathing, swallowing, but they are doing great. Brady is taking 3 bottles a day (the rest are tube feeds), and Reese had her first bottle today! She sucked that thing down so fast that I think even the OT was surprised. She is only taking 1 ml less than Brady, so their quantities are similar. They should hit goal tomorrow.

I think the plan is that they will gradually increase feeds and nippling until they are tolerating and thriving without any problems. I wish I could say that it would be next week, but I don't think that is how it works. My understanding is that most babies have good days and bad days. We have had so many good days that we anticipate that there will be some not so great ones to come. They both got rid of their IVs, and they may even move out of the isolettes to cribs soon. Gary and I are at the hospital all day long, because they let us do the feedings, changing, baths, temps, holding, etc. Our days go by really fast!

No comments: