Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 13, 2010

In Sickness and In Health

I am not sure there are a lot of people that give real thought to this statement during their wedding vows.  I don't know.  I know what it meant to me, and when I heard the Pastor saying those words during my wedding, the tears I had held back became a non-stop river.


I understood sickness.  I lived with heart disease my entire life, but did Gary understand what this meant for him?  Did he understand the lifetime promise of medical bills, hospitalizations, barriers of building a family, and that there was no guarantee that we would have a long life together?  (Of course, no one has that guarantee, but I knew what heart failure entaled)  He took his thumb, and wiped away those tears.  That was my confirmation that he understood "in sickness and in health."  And he has proven it time and time again.

I bring this up, because I had a potential encounter with an emergency room on Friday afternoon, and I realized again just how complicated every aspect of my health is after the transplant.  A migraine with nausea and vomiting might not just mean discomfort and pain, but also the inability of my body to absorb my medications, abnormal labs, potential rejection . . . I could go on and on, but I will say this.  I was alone with the kids, and the second I started vomiting (in-between breaks), I called Gary to come home.  He was on his way home immediately.  I could see the concern on his face, but he knew that I needed to take some medication and be still.  With that in mind, he entertained two 3-year olds all evening.


I don't think either of us are too surprised about anything regarding my health anymore, but I do know this . . . it takes a lot of courage to accept the responsibility of "in sickness and in health" and follow through on that promise!


Thank you, Gary

April 2006

By the way, I am fine. My labs came back normal today, and we are waiting on the final lab results to confirm their is no rejection. I am confident of this - If God can place Gary in my life on an airplane, He can most certainly bless me with the patience, perserverance, and strength I need regardless of the results.

Happy Monday!



 

No comments: