Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Habakkuk

This morning, I was guided to read a simple verse out of the book of Habakkuk (I do a daily Bible Study called For the Write Reasons), and realized, "Uh, oh."  I didn't even recognize the name Habukkuk.  I have a long way to go.  I realized I was going to have to read the whole book.  After glancing to see what was in store, I saw that it was only 3 pages.  Yes! 

Those were 3 pages that really spoke to my heart.  However, it wasn't in the way my Bible Study specifically intended.  I was provided with a great reminder that the righteous do not always appear to have the immediate upper hand, even though they are faithful to a loving God.

I love it that Habakkuk's name means embrace.  He was described as a man that had a very tender heart for the Lord. but he actually questioned God . . . twice.

"Why?  Why, Lord, do we have to suffer affliction while the ungodly prosper?" 

My response to hardship has been no different in certain circumstances.  Am I not faithful in looking to God's Word?  Do I not intentionally seek His guidance and will, and  proclaim that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and that he died for our sins?  Why do I suffer time and again with hardship and heartache when so much of the world prospers through greed, violence, hate, and deceipt?

The Lord answers (and my simple interpretation does not do it justice) ~

He says . . . The ungodly may seem to have the upper hand, but they are never satisfied.  Their greed and arrogance causes them to never feel rest.  Those that continue to have faith will be victorious through the Lord, even though we may have to wait.

My immediate reaction is "ugh."  I have to wait for it?  Habakkuk concludes with praise and a song.  Will I do the same thing?

We all know pain and hardship, and sometimes my cry of misunderstanding is not about who is causing the affliction, but what.  What a lesson I learned today.  I don't sit and delight in the fact that "they will get theirs," (even though that would be a very human thing to do), I delight in the fact that I am His and my only response can be one of faithfulness and trust.

I like that Habukkuk guy.  (No disrespect - he was a prophet :))

Have a good day!  Please feel free to enlighten me if I am not getting it.  I feel this is what I was meant to learn today.

No comments: